AP English Language

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Summer Reading

The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan:
As a Christian, I found this novel interesting because it is an allegory that describes the Evangelical Christian's life. s the story of Christian's journey from the City of Destruction to the Celestial City. However, Bunyan's writing style is incredibly elementary and uninteresting. It reads like a See Spot Run children's book. To those of you who thinks this translates to an easy read, don't be confused; when I say elementary, I don't mean easy, I mean boring. Historically, The Pilgrim's Progress is very significant in that early American Pilgrims owned two books: the Bible and this novel. I think the literary value of this novel is atleast a 9, while my personal enjoyment of the novel was about a 3 or 4.

1984 by George Orwell: As far as school reading goes, this book is fabulous. If you enjoy history or politics or studying government, you will most likely enjoy 1984. Orwell's writing is generally easy to understand and is not written in a langage that the reader has to "decode." I would give the novel a 7 or 8 for both literary value and my personal opinion.

1 Comments:

Blogger mferrill said...

I agree! 1984 is a classic everyone must read. I think you might also find The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood fascinating. It's another example of dystopian fiction that will surely "break the frozen sea" inside of you!

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home